National Freakin' Genius Month?

Not many people realize that November is National Adoption Awareness Month.  I know it's easy for it to be lost when there seems to be nationally recognized month and days for everything these days...National Peanut Butter and Jelly day, National Hug a Midget Day, National Blonde Russians with  Two Big Toes on Their Left Foot Awareness Month...sheesh.

I have a great deal of interest in promoting this one, however.  I was adopted at birth.  For reasons still not exactly clear, arrangements were made with her doctor who cared for her during pregnancy (who also happened to be my parents' doctor) to allow who would become my parents to raise me.  Of course my twin bother...I mean brother....was a part of the package.  We would instantly have an older brother who was also adopted, but from a different family.

I'm grateful for the experience, especially after my curiosity led me to research my origins.  I ended up being raised by two of the best parents I could imagine.  As crazy as my mom drives me at this juncture (yes Mike, you owe me BIG!), I wouldn't trade them for anything.  They were by no means perfect parents, they were by no means wealthy parents...but they were participating parents, present parents, and loving parents.

Growing up on a family farm, it's a natural that you're going to do things together as a family.  We worked together. We built fence together, worked the ground together, harvested together, built barns and hog pens together.  We waited for sows to deliver a litter of pigs, ground their feed and fed them, carried water for them, fed cattle and horses, loaded hogs for market, herded them when they escaped the pens, fixed equipment together...whew...farming was long and hard work!  Though I complained a lot about it all at the time, I am now so grateful for those experiences that taught me so much.

I remember football, basketball, and baseball games in the front yard as a family.  I'll never forget my astonishment watching Mom in her 70's wallop a baseball in a little game with me and the boys behind the house a few years ago, just like she did in her 30's.  I remember laughing as I watched Dad sprinting down the driveway as he raced each of us one at a time.

Some of you who read this had my Mom as a den mother in cub scouts.  Some may have had Dad as a troop leader in boy scouts.  Dad helped us build rockets and pinewood derby cars.  We had amazing vacations to Colorado growing up.  Those constitute some of my best memories, as we hauled the travel trailer from campground to campground in the gorgeous Rocky Mountain and the Grand Tetons of Wyoming. 

They were there when I graduated 8th grade, 12 grade, and from college.  They were there when each of my boys came into this world.  They were always involved.  Dad left us early, but Mom remains to see my first grandson come into this world.  It's my turn to show her some of that now, so she lives nearby again.

Adoption Awareness Month is intended to put the spotlight on the numbers of children out there who need the kind of experience I had.  I dodged some bullets.  I've found out that things could have been much different for me.  There are many, many kids out there like this one who touched my heart:

Video here

From infants to teens to frozen embryos, there are kids who need a loving and caring home.  I'm so proud of my kids for having that kind of heart in adopting an embryo...Sammy could have been discarded like so many other embryos are.  He's fortunate to have two amazing parents and a freakin' genius Papa who is already showering him with love and attention.

I'm blessed and I know it.  My curiosity about my beginnings has led me to some other wonderful discoveries.  I've met 2 men who I'm proud to call my brothers, and a wonderful woman who I'm proud to call my big sister.  I've met fun loving aunts and great cousins.  My family has expanded.  I have a lot to say about the issues that face adoptees...that will be another post one day (I've even threatened a book).  There are challenges for both adoptive parents and adoptees....it's not an easy job, but let me say, the challenges are worth it.

So this month as you recognize Dunce Day, National Pizza with the Works Except for Anchovies Day, National Indian Pudding Day (WTH??), and National Start Your Own Country Day (yes these are all nationally recognized 'days'....sheesh!) remember the need of children who lack a loving and involved family.  Who knows, you may get a freakin' genius!

By the way, happy National Bittersweet Chocolate With Almonds Day!! Cheers!

Comments

  1. This is wonderful Mark. I never knew all these great things about your childhood. Your mother is a special woman indeed.You are all so very Blessed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Symphony of Silence

Love Inside the Lines

Power Quitting