It's Heeeeere!!!

It's finally here!  Yep, NASCAR makes its return this weekend, and this Freakin Genius is a happy camper!  Did I tell you that cold weather and winter sucks??  I thought so, but just in case you forgot...it sucks!!  This weekend reminds me that spring is nearly here, the dumb, depressing, dreary dead of winter is disappearing soon...I may not have to get those meds after all.  A little bit of snow around here turns typically stupid drivers into complete morons.  Yep, the weather's changed, a snowflake hit the highway...let's totally forget everything we ever learned about driving!  Sheesh!

Unlike most other sports (yes, it is TOO a sport!), NASCAR starts with the Superbowl event, the Daytona 500.  (don't ask me why we START with the Superbowl, makes no sense to me either!) By the way, that track was built about 50 years ago, and they JUST NOW repaved the track for the first time.  Let's see...43 cars going 200 miles per hour, creating tremendous stress and heat on that pavement times, let's see, 4 races on that weekend alone, not to mention all of the other races that the track hosts every year...I think most DOT's should take classes on building roads from NASCAR tracks.  Our major highways are replaced about every one to two years.  The state bird of Oklahoma is the stinkin' orange cone!  Doesn't really bother me that much though...makes me imagine I'm driving a road course race.

I get a little excited when February rolls around...not because of Valentine's Day, but because I know the Daytona 500 speedweek events are here!  And of course, the first time the cars hit the track for practice was....Valentine's Day!  What better way to piss off your wife or significant other than by being glued to the TV watching cars take innumerable left turns....practicing! TWICE!!  Of course, it makes no sense to you haters!  But there's all the rule changes, the spoiler height has changed, they're going a little faster again, the two car stupid tandem draft is gone (I hope for good), the qualifying format has changed to an F1 style, the championship scoring and format has changed...ain't it freakin exciting???!!!  Woohoo!

Practice yesterday, practice today, a race tonight, qualifying tomorrow, the duel races this week, the truck race next Friday, Nationwide race on Saturday, and then....wait for it...the 500 next Sunday!!!  Nascar has all the drama...bad boys, good guys, the winners, the losers, Danika Patrick (hot!) and hot Miss Sprint Cup, fights, tempers flaring, the thrill of victory...the agony of defeat.  And of course, if you've ever been to a race...there's nothing like it.  The smell of racing fuel burning, 900 horsepower engines with no mufflers, the sound of air impact wrenches, the tire smoke...ain't nothin' like it!  Of course, some of it is forgettable.  Some of it is like taking a Walmart run at 2 in the morning.  Just a little bit scary.  The wardrobe choices of some people is freakin amazing. What's amazing though, is getting 200,000 people fueled with copious quantities of Budweiser together in one place, rabid devotees of their respective driver, mixed with plenty of drama....and I've never seen or heard of a fight.  Amazing!  I don't even think people are that nice at Walmart.  Go figure.

As I write this, I'm sitting here watching practice #3.  It's important stuff...gotta find out how my boy is gonna do this season.  Have to see who's switched rides so I'm not yelling at the wrong guy in that car when he's jackin around with my driver on the track.  I know...it's finally nice outside...I should be out enjoying it, but now I'm torn.  Let's see...go wash my car, maybe risk putting the convertible top down...take a walk, go to that first cookout....or create butt cheek imprints on this end of the leather couch...hmmmmm. 

So if you want to know what I'm doing almost ever Sunday afternoon through November...do NOT expect a blog post to be generated from this computer in the very least, I'll be otherwise engaged.  I'm FG...I'm a NASCAR ho!  FG

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Symphony of Silence

Love Inside the Lines

Power Quitting