The Only True Asset

I don't claim to be an expert at all.  I've failed time and time again.  But I keep getting back up, dusting myself off, and keep trying.  It's probably been some of the most difficult work I've ever done.  And those of you who know me well know that I've done ALL KINDS of work.  If I put everything on a resume that I've ever done, I'd probably be one of the most unemployable people out there...prospective employers would think that I have no earthly clue what I want to be when I grow up.  And they may be right!

My leadership guru, John Maxwell said one time, "Your only appreciable asset is people."  That's so true.  He was talking about it in the context of a business or organization.  Think about it...every other asset depreciates in value...furniture, houses, cars, clothes, shoes, machines....everything.  The only one that potentially doesn't is people.  I say potentially, because not everyone (including management) realizes that they can become more valuable.  It's a true statement that I agree with to the core of my being.

I've come to value relationships of every kind.  I realized a long time ago that when I die, I'm not going to be hauling 'stuff' with me.  The Pharaohs thought that could happen, and we've been enjoying their 'stuff' for centuries.  But there is one thing we will take with us (if you believe in life after life)...and that is relationships.  I'm counting on seeing all of my friends and family there.  That's what makes me think that I'd better do the best I can in the meantime...I don't think He likes feuds very well...just a hunch.

They're so darned difficult though.  They are lots of work...definitely not the stuff for sissies.  They not only have to be started and built, but dang it, they have to be maintained.  I'm not just talking about marriage relationships (don't even ask me about these)...but with kids, parents, coworkers, friends, acquaintances, business...the list goes on and on.  Conflict and disagreements will happen.  Differences of opinion will occur.  Differences in expectations will abound.  Beliefs will not sync.  World views will collide.  But doggone it, we have to coexist.  It can be good, or it can be very, very bad.

We invest all kinds of time and resources in assets that depreciate...ones that either don't last over a few days, like food, or ones that don't last past a lifetime, like most things we cling to.  The question is, how much time and resources do we spend on the only asset that will appreciate and linger past this life?  It's work, but some of it can be made much easier with kind words, compliments, encouragement, a smile...a touch or a hug.  Maybe even a thoughtful unexpected gesture like a note, or an email..a text or a phone call out of the blue.  Relationship don't live on their own, but they'll die on their own. 

God knows that I realize that not everything is always in your control.  Sometimes even your best efforts can fall flat.  Sometimes they're not appreciated or reciprocated.  But we shouldn't be giving with the expectation of getting.  Love doesn't work that way.

Someone once said, "Spend more time making people feel better about themselves than you doe making them feel better about you."  That's sage advice right there.  I'm still learning...I'm still falling down and getting back up.  I guess the only way to truly fail in the matter of relationships is if you simply stay down.  FG

PS:  I'm grateful for all of the rich friendships that have been developed over the years, some from grade school, that I enjoy to this day.  I'm grateful for my family, co-workers, church families and collegues who have been incredibly important to me through the years.  I may not have always been the best of friends, but I hope you know my heart is in the right place.  I love you all!

Comments

  1. This is powerful Mark.You make many thought provoking points.Relationships really are the only thing we'll take into heaven.Life's a dance of living & learning.The key is love & forgiveness,to ourselves and eachother.If we can learn to love & forgive,then we'll build everlasting relationships and waltz right through heavens gates.So proud of your seasoned heart for sharing a right hook of soul changing insight. Great stuff! While you may still be trying to figure out what you want to be when you grow up,I think some of us are well aware of your calling. Mark Dougherty,You've got "exactly" what it takes to be "exactly" what you want and are called to be and even more (Jeremiah 29:11)...
    Once you start listening to your own best advice:)
    (2 Corinthians 5:21)
    I believe in you!
    <3 Your Sis ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Symphony of Silence

Love Inside the Lines

Power Quitting