52 and Counting...

Wow!  It's hard to believe that today marks 52 years on this mud ball spinning in the universe!  I'm actually amazed I've made it this far.  Those of you who knew me in my early years are probably as amazed as I am!  Those of you who have come to know me since are probably equally surprised.  I've continued to test the limits of my mortality it seems.  So far, so good!

I look back over my life thus far, and I'd have to say that overall, it's been a very good life.  Sure, it's had some amazingly difficult challenges, but I see those as part of making me who I am today.  Good is meaningless without bad.  Being adopted at birth creates a unique set of challenges that one is really not aware of until life continues to unfold.  I've begun to appreciate that part of my life more as time goes on.  It's not that I had any real problems with the fact that I was adopted, but there are issues that are uncovered by time.  I'm grateful for my parents who raised me....grateful that I had the privilege of knowing Kevin as a big brother...grateful (most of the time, lol) that I have had the unique privilege of being a twin, and having Mike be that twin.  I'm also grateful that I have begun to get to know some incredibly wonderful siblings that I never knew existed...three of five I've met either in person or by written word...and I'd have to say that genius truly is genetic!

I've even grown to appreciate the fact that I was raised on a hog farm.  At the time, I didn't appreciate having to do chores both before and after school, leaving school to chase hogs back into their pens, smelling the aroma of hog poop wafting through my car as when I was dating...what wasn't there to like??  I blame the hogs on my dislike for winters to this day.  By the way, heated, non freezing waterers??? Freakin liars!!  If they weren't lying, why was I freezing my butt off during the winter breaking ice on the damned things?? 

Now, I can look past those things and realize that I obtained quite an education beyond what the Clearwater public school system had to offer.  I received the gift of a great work ethic (thanks to my Dad); I learned to have a great sense of personal responsibility, the value of hard work, the idea of 'pay now, play later'; how to repair things, sometimes using some creative ingenuity.

I've met some amazing people on my journey to date.  Most of you know that I've never known anyone to be a stranger.  I have very few enemies...I think I'm allergic.  All of my friends have taught me something along the way to make my life better, richer and fuller.  For all that I've met, I'm grateful.

I've had a couple of different jobs since I left the hallowed halls of CHS.  Each one has built upon the other to give me some life skills I could have obtained nowhere else.  OK, maybe I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to be when I grow up, but so far, it looks like Gateway is where I'll die.  Retirement? What's that?? 

Maybe I get a bit confused when I look in the mirror in the morning, not really recognizing the old dude I see staring at me with baggy eyes and the 'not enough caffeine yet' scowl on his face.  I still feel like 20 year old Mark, minus some achiness that comes from doing the stupid, death defying stunts I've collected over the years.  Maybe I've just taken seriously the statement of Jesus who said, "unless you all become like little children, you shall never enter the kingdom of heaven." 

I do feel disappointed that I never got my midlife crisis, however.  I decided recently that I'd choose the good stuff that comes with said crisis, and skip the negative stuff, and enjoy me a good midlife crisis.  The new Mustang may be the beginning and end of it, but if that's all there is to it, that's OK with me! 

I can't forget one thing (three things; 5 things?) that have made my life richer and fuller.  Three sons collected along the way keep me smiling, make me proud, and cause me great joy.  They are a piece of work, give me crap on a regular basis, but I wouldn't trade the crap for anything in the world.  The daughters (and adopted daughters) are all a very significant part of my life.  As my children have children, I know my life will become that much more rich and joyful.

Over the years, I've learned that success is a journey, not a destination.  The journey, regardless of the difficulties, has been well worth the trouble!  Who knows how many more years stand before me, but one thing I do know...I'm going to fill them up and enjoy every second living each year to the hilt!  It's my birthday!  Cheers!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Symphony of Silence

Love Inside the Lines

Power Quitting